I’ve been watching way too much Food Network recently and as a result have gotten even more creative with my meals. Here’s what I ate the other night that would have won me the entrée round on Chopped.
Steak and feta over coleslaw over steamed veggies over yam fries with cooked kiwi and fresh salsa. Ok, so it doesn’t have a name, but it is delicious!
Yam fries: Real easy.
- Cut up a yam into French fries or wedges.
- Spray a pan with Pam and load on your fries.
- Coat your fries with pam.
- Broil until crispy.
Steamed Veggies: Real easy.
- Cut up an onion, squash, green and red peppers.
- Spray a frying pan with Pam and heat.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to frying pan.
- Add veggies.
- Cover the pan (Thanks Iron Chef!).
- Let veggies cook to taste.
Cole Slaw: Real easy.
- Buy Wegman’s cleaned and cut broccoli slaw
- Add a lil low fat mayo.
Steak: Real easy but a little more work.
- Cut a sirloin steak into thin slices.
- Season and toss with salt, pepper, McCormick Steak Seasoning, and Olive Oil.
- Heat a frying pan coated in Pam.
- Add Olive Oil to frying pan and allow to heat.
- Add steak. Once all steak is added immediately flip each piece. Steak should be cut thinly enough that it is cooked medium well in under a minute.
- Remove steak from pan.
Kiwi: Real easy.
- Cut a kiwi into slices and try not to eat it all before you cook it (Tip: Buy an extra kiwi).
- Heat a frying pan with Pam.
- Cook kiwi on medium heat until it begins to brown.
- Turn heat on high and sear the outside of the kiwi for no other reason than I wanted to use the word ‘sear’ and it’s delicious!
Final Product: Real easy.
- Plate it: Start with the yam fries, on top of that add the steamed veggies, on top of that add the broccoli slaw, on top of that add the steak, on top of that add a little fat free feta, line the outside of the plate with kiwi, add salsa on top.
It’s not that difficult OR boring sticking with a healthy eating plan. If you needed a carb-free meal you could have made this exact same meal minus the yams and kiwis. Lower fat, you could have substituted the steak with chicken or fish or even tuna.
Let’s take a look at three foods: Chicken, Rice, and Broccoli.
Meal One: Teriyaki pulled chicken (cooked in slow cooker) over brown rice and broccoli mixed with Anchor Bar wing sauce. YUM!
Meal Two: Grilled chicken breast cut in cubes over rice, broccoli, romaine lettuce, fat free feta, chopped up hardboiled egg, and light raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
Meal Three: Grilled chicken breast, baby spinach, broccoli, and feta omelet with sliced tomatoes on top.
I’m going to start posting more recipes but the fact is I don’t have any recipes. I just get creative and mix all my portion sizes of food in different ways. Give it a try. Let me know what you come up with!
P.S. The broccoli slaw is amazing and minus the mayo will be my veggie of choice for the next few months until I get sick of it!